It’s not every day that you sit down and assess the information that someone could obtain on you using today’s technology. How hack-friendly is your password? There are numerous ways hackers can gather your private information. If you have a mobile phone, if you text, if you surf the internet, and or if you have social media accounts.
I will be the first to admit, I am just as obvious about certain things as I am keen on others. Security isn’t my biggest, strongest subject. Lousy as it might sound, I mostly pay attention to what is in front of me. So when I read about Lifelock, the light switch went off! With all the disasters in my life recently, I would say the message was like a reminder from above.
Lifelock has the advance technology to monitor, send alert and protect our identity. In a nutshell, there are five categories that Lifelock do to work against identity theft:
- Monitoring Your Identity
- Scanning for Identity Threats
- Responding to Identity Theft
- Trust Our Service Guarantee
- Tracking Your Credit Score
- Monitoring Your Identity: When was the last time you contacted the credit bureaus? Lifelock will help you contact the credit bureaus after you signed up to have your name removed from the pre-approved list of credit providers. And that is only one of the things that they do in this category for you.
- Scanning For Identity Threats: Not only does Lifelock monitors your identity, it also scans the criminal websites to make sure your identity is not being sold illegally.
- Responding to Identity Theft: if there is a change in your activity pattern, or your contact information, they will contact you immediately to correct the situation.
Guarantee For Our Services: If you are ever a victim, they will spend up to $1million dollars in fees to help you resolve your case and best of all Lifelock membership comes with Identity Theft Insurance that carries zero deductible. They will reimburse you for certain out-of-pocket expenses, including:
- Fraudulent withdrawals
- Lost Wages
- Child and/or elderly care
- Document replacement fees
- Travel expenses
- Tracking Your Credit Score: Lifelock tracks your credit score so that you don’t have to. You will know right away the changes monthly.
For more statistics regarding Identity Theft, and learn to protect you and your family, please see below:
Households earning $100k + per year have the highest identity fraud rate at 7.4%
• The average cost per person of having identities stolen is $1,513
• 11.6 million adults were victims of identity fraud in 2011 and a total of $18 billion was lost.
Alarming stats for social media/ smartphone users that have experience identity fraud:
• 6.6% of victims are smartphone owners
• 6.8% of victims are social media users who click on the applications
• 8.2% of victims are social media users who have “checked in” using their smartphone GPS
• 10.1% of victims are LinkedIn users
Do you know how fast a professional hacker can breach your password security?
• If you have 6 characters in your password with no symbol, it only takes a professional .000224 seconds
• If you have 10 characters and one symbol in your password, it takes up to 20 days for a professional to break in.
• What would this mean to your online banking, personal information and overall privacy?
Are you alarmed by the stats listed? Ask your readers if they feel protected against identity theft.